Lyft and Uber Accident Attorney — Downey, CA
Have you been in a traffic accident while using Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare company in Downey, CA? If you find yourself in that situation, the person to have in your corner is an established rideshare accident lawyer.
You want someone who is experienced and knowledgeable about the law pertaining to vehicle and rideshare accidents. They are the ones who can help you recover compensation for your accident and injuries.
Promenade Accident Attorneys is an award-winning personal injury lawyer fully dedicated and prepared to handle your Lyft or Uber accident case. Get started immediately with a free initial consultation.
Common Causes of Rideshare Accident Injuries
Car accidents can occur for any reason.
For example, vehicle accidents can happen when driving, a passenger, or utilizing a rideshare service. While there are many causes of rideshare accidents, some are more common than others.
- Speeding – Based on data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, speeding kills about 9,000 people each year in the United States. In addition, it causes accidents both in ridesharing vehicles and other motor vehicles, like trucks, motorcycles, and passenger cars.
- Inexperience – Many rideshare drivers do not have the same amount of experience as professional chauffeurs. As such, accidents are more common due to a lack of experience on the road while transporting passengers. Interferences, like talkative passengers or regularly using GPS, can prove to be a bigger distraction than the driver is used to.
- Bad road conditions – Rain, snow, fog, and other types of bad weather can make an accident more likely even when driving cautiously. In addition, roadside construction and heavy congestion also contribute to car crashes.
- Fatigued driving – Driving while tired can be just as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. Many drivers report driving while drowsy, and 20% admit to falling asleep while driving. This causes over 1,500 fatalities every year.
What to Do After a Rideshare Accident
Uber and Lyft have changed the way people travel.
Unfortunately, even the safest driver can experience an accident. There are several steps to take after a ridesharing accident:
- Report the accident. Report the accident to the police and the company behind the rideshare service (Uber or Lyft). Ask for an officer to visit the scene to document the accident. Then, get a copy of that police report.
- Document all relevant information. After an accident, it’s essential to document the details as soon as possible. You may start to forget things as time passes. So write down what you remember about the accident, take photos and videos of the wreck, and log all of your injuries.
- Visit the hospital. You may believe you aren’t injured but realize you are as time passes. Therefore, it’s better to speak with a physician who can determine if you have internal injuries and check on any injuries you may not even be aware of. Visiting a doctor also provides more evidence of the crash for your claim.
- Speak with a Downey Uber and Lyft accident lawyer. Before you ever speak to an insurance company, talk to an attorney. A rideshare accident lawyer will ensure you have the best chance of getting the maximum amount of compensation, whether it's through a fair and full settlement or a personal injury lawsuit.
Who Is Responsible for an Uber or Lyft Accident?
When it comes to liability in a rideshare accident, California law states that any party at fault for causing the accident can be held accountable and financially responsible for injuries sustained:
the Uber/Lyft driver, the rideshare company, another motorist, or another party. In order for the rideshare driver or the company to be held liable, three factors must be considered, all of which fall under a distinct "period" of activity:
- Period 1 - The driver is not actively working (transporting a passenger or pickup up a passenger). If an accident takes place during this period, only the rideshare driver could be liable.
- Period 2 - The driver is active on the rideshare application but has not "accepted" a ride or picked up the passenger. During this period, both the driver and the rideshare company can be held liable.
- Period 3 - This period of time starts once the driver has accepted the ride and ends once the passengers have been dropped off. Therefore, any car accident that takes place during this time can fall on both the rideshare driver and Uber/Lyft.
Insurance policies for both the contracted driver and the rideshare company are mandatory, but the terms will vary depending on the car accident. Uber and Lyft have contingent liability insurance policies with limits up to $1,000,000 per person. However, that policy only kicks in after the Uber/Lyft driver’s coverage has maxed out.
How Much is an Uber or Lyft Accident Claim Worth?
Some of the damages you may need recovered can range from all medical expenses accrued to hefty vehicle repairs.
Your Uber and Lyft accident attorney in Downey will work with you to determine how much compensation is appropriate based on your specific situation. A few of the factors that will determine your compensation potential include the following:
- Wrongful death
- Future and current medical bills
- Emotional damage
- Pain and suffering
- Personal property damage
- Lost wages
- Permanent physical injuries
Why Promenade Accident Attorneys is the Best Choice
As a client of an Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Downey at Promenade Accident Attorneys, we will work hard to get you full compensation for your automobile accident.
The process to achieve this starts with a free consultation so we can hear more about your situation and decide what options are best for you going forward. In addition, we work on a contingency fee basis, so you never have to pay upfront for our attorney services.
Our law firm has a stellar success rate with personal injury cases involving rideshare accidents. In addition, we have access to the best medical professionals to take care of any injuries you have. As your Downey Uber and Lyft accident attorney, we can also provide you with 24/7 communication.
SCHEDULE YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
When you need an Uber or Lyft accident lawyer in Downey, Promenade Accident Attorneys can help you from start to finish. We also serve the greater Los Angeles County area. Contact our personal injury law firm today to schedule your free consultation.